Monday, September 01, 2014

50mm 1.8 lens RAVE

FACT OR FICTION: I need a bunch of expensive stuff to take great pictures!!!

FICTION!

Granted, I haven't been in the photography business for very long. But the more I practice and learn the more I realize that while good equipment is essential, I do not need the most expensive gear to produce great images.

I admit, I fall into the "I want XYZ, I NEED XYZ to take better pictures" trap every now and then. Sometimes being limited by budget is a good thing because it forces you to take what you have and run with it. For example, I am currently saving up for a pretty expensive lens. Do I think it will help me take better pictures? Yes and no. I think it will help me be able to take some different types of shots than I am capable of right now, but not necessarily "better" pictures.

It is true that the type of glass (more expensive glass=better images) does make a difference, but only if you already know how to rock what you got. The lens that pretty much never comes off my camera is my 50 mm 1.8, commonly known as the Nifty Fifty. This lens is available for both Canon and Nikon cameras. It is light and great in low light situations. You can get really great bokeh with this lens (blurry backgrounds), and it is a fixed lens (as opposed to a zoom lens) which means it can take some really sharp pictures.



Eventually I am going to get a 50 mm 1.4 and maybe even a 1.2, but you just canNOT beat the 1.8 when it comes to price. It comes in around $100 and is LEAPS AND BOUNDS above the kit lens, that is for sure. If you don't have a 50 mm yet, this is my biggest tip. Get one! There are tons of articles out there that hammer the crud out of why this lens is fabulous. In fact, here are some for your convenience:

The 50mm 1.8- Small Wonder!

50mm 1.8 vs 1.4

Tips for using the 50mm 1.8 lens

7 reasons every photographer should own the 50mm 1.8 lens

A great lens for bokeh

Now that you have some great reading material, I will leave you with my blessing to go buy this lens. Happy shooting!

No comments:

Post a Comment